Thursday, October 10, 2013

Vietnam: Saigon

I just got back from my first Asian Adventure (outside Taiwan): Vietnam!

I managed to pack a lot into those four days so I'm going to be spreading the trip out into a few posts on here.



The ride from the airport made me quickly realize how different things are in Vietnam than anywhere else I've ever been. The seat belt didn't even have a buckle and there were scooters zooming all over the place. Don't get me wrong, I'm used to scooters, there's plenty here in Taipei, but this was like Taipei times 100.



The driver dropped me off in front of a park. I didn't see any hostels but his lack of English and my lack of Vietnamese made me think I'd be better off wandering around on my own.



I headed for the strip of stands selling tours across the street. It's also worth noting that street lights mean nothing here. You cross when you want to cross and hope for the best. I learned quickly that you're better off just crossing the street because the scooters and cars are used to judging how long it takes someone to cross the rode. If you pause for even a second they get a little too close for comfort!



A nice man pointed me to the direction of my hostel and a few seconds later i was standing in front of... well, in front of a building that used to be a hostel but was currently a big pile of rubble. It was going well.


As I stood there looking between the rubble in front of me and the emails I had exchanged with the owner just a few days before, I felt a tap on my shoulder. The owner popped out of nowhere and led me to another hostel across the street, explaining she was redoing her hostel and booked me there instead.

The new hostel was nice so I couldn't complain. I had a big bed and my own bathroom! I dropped my stuff off in the room and headed out ready to start exploring!
A sidewalk cafe where I got some amazing Vietnamese coffee


I started out with a plan of what I wanted to see that day but quickly realized that whenever I stopped to look at a map it was the perfect chance for a guy on a cyclo to follow me around trying to give me a tour. So, I put my map away and decided to just walk around and get lost. That is what's fun about exploring a new city anyway, isn't it?



I ended up stumbling across the Notre Dame Cathedral, the Saigon Central Post Office, and a bunch of other important, western style, buildings. Both are big tourist attractions because of their western style architecture, as they were both constructed back when Vietnam was part of French Indochina.




I wasn't really planning on going to the Post Office because, well, the idea of going to Vietnam to visit a Post Office seemed kind of silly. But, as I found myself in front of it I decided I'd go ahead in and have a look. I'm glad I did!




It is beautiful inside, but there are also little stands selling some pretty cool stuff.





I continued wandering and found myself in a nicer area, nicknamed the Paris of the East. This was obviously a real tourist area where they had designer shops and all that stuff.



While at the Post Office I picked up a ticket to see the famous Water Puppet Show. I'm so glad I did because the show was so cute!



The puppets look like they're floating on water, and the story (although completely in Vietnamese) was easy enough to follow.


The music was beautiful and the actors and musicians on the side of the stage really looked like they were having so much fun!



The puppeteers were behind the screen in waist deep water, holding onto long rods with the puppets at the end.  It was really amazing how they could make the puppets move the way they did. There were people, boats, ducks, and dragons jumping all around and shooting out water or fire.


Water puppetry goes way back to the 11th century. Villagers used to entertain each other with puppet shows in the Delta, or when the rice paddy fields would be flooded.

Here's a couple videos I took of the show. Sorry it's so shaky, I was just so excited! ;-)

 




After the show I made my way back to the hostel, ready for a good nights sleep. A nice, older woman stopped me on the street and said, "You're SO white!" I understand I'm pale, but I don't think I'll ever get used to everyone on this side of the world telling me this as if it's a compliment! We chatted for a bit and she was actually very sweet. That was my first (of many) offers to go teach in Vietnam!


So that's my first day in Saigon. I'll try to post about the rest of the trip soon!

There's a couple more pictures here, but tons more to come!

<3

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Awesome! The puppet show is really something.

    ReplyDelete